Using specific recipes required for each bioreactor stage of scale up from inoculum to harvest. Media preparation is usually carried out in tanks, carboys, bottles, or bags to which the media is introduced. Like humans, cells also require proper nutrition to function and ultimately produce the protein product.
Therefore, media is predominantly made up of various components: carbohydrate (glucose), nitrogen (amino acids), fats (lipids) and trace amounts of salt. Media components are most often in powder form which is introduced to a high purity grade of water for injection (WFI). Before introducing the cells to culture, the media must be homogeneous and thoroughly mixed. After doing this step, the mixed solution is brought from a bag or carboy towards the bioreactor.
The mixed solution can be transported using a pump if gravity doesn’t do the job and Single Use instruments such as flow, pH, pressure, etc can be utilised to ensure everything is working correctly.
Single Use Assemblies
- Product Transfer Assemblies from a Buffer/Media Make-Up Tank
- Bag Assemblies for creating a buffer
- Bottle / Flask closure assemblies
- Sampling Assemblies to take a sterile sample from the buffer media
- Biopharmaceutical TPE Tubing; to create a sterile closed system for transporting the buffer to the bioreactor by welding.
- Silicone Tubing: is more commonly used in standard applications for transporting the buffer, where you don’t have to weld.
- Pump Grade Tubing has been developed for peristaltic pumps. It is designed to have a longer pump life.
- Pre-filters: PROCLEAR
- Retentive filters for viral clearance
- Sterilising grade filters to remove microorganisms from the solution
- Levitronix: Process transfer with a centrifugal pump based on the principles of magnetic levitation for consistent flow without dripping
Plastic Fittings & Connectors
- Sterile connectors can be used to connect tube to tube or to connect tubing to the column to maintain a fully closed, sterile system
- Bioprocess fittings (Y-Pieces, Tee’s, Reducers etc.) are available to connect tubing or to connect tubing to the bioreactor. These fittings can also be used to make a single-use assembly.
- Single-use sensors to control and monitor your process within media preparation
Bottles & Flasks
- Spinner Flask
- Erlenmeyer/Shake Flask
- Media Bottles for taking samples of media preparation
- Sampling Bags for taking samples of media preparation